There is something that we at Iris+Hart do every day. Yes, we brush our teeth and make our bed, at least I do, do you Cate? We do lots of the same things every day, but this is something we choose to do each day. We choose to make healthy choices when we eat and/or cook. It’s just something we do because we feel better when we do and we know that we are worth that. And it doesn’t mean we have a special diet we follow, although we are partial to THM. But we love to eat homemade food. Id rather eat something I have cooked than go out to eat. I know what is in my food and I also by quality ingredients. I choose to put my money towards our grocery bill, for health and for taste and for enjoyment. Yes, we both love to cook, its fun for us.
Now I know a lot of people don’t like to cook or have a lot of time to cook. We overheard a conversation between two women at church one day, while waiting for the service to start. One woman was talking about her kitchen renovation and how she loved her new stove. The other lady said,” How nice, now you will enjoy cooking on it”. “No way,” said the first woman,” I just store my kitchen towels in there”. No kidding! So obviously some people just don’t like to be in the kitchen other than for simple tasks or to admire the beauty of it! But eating healthy doesn’t require a lot of time or culinary school knowledge. A simple salad of organic lettuces, vegetables and perhaps a piece of grilled chicken on top. (maybe you have someone in your family who will grill) and voila…. you have a meal better than Chik fil a! Our goal is to give you some of our favorite and simple recipes over the next few weeks.
Here is one that we like to have in between meals or after a workout. Cate created this, so here she is to tell you about it…
“This is a simple smoothie but it’s not just any smoothie. This smoothie is both tangy, sweet, energizing and tastes just like one of my favorite candies. In my humble opinion it tastes even better than smoothie king but without the yucky syrup! It is a great choice for a protein packed, energizing and nourishing snack but the BEST part about this smoothie? It nourishes your skin from the inside out. Yes-it’s a health and beauty drink.
First-I named this smoothie Strawberry Starburst because it tastes exactly like a strawberry starburst candy. I couldn’t believe it!! It might be the best smoothie I’ve ever had and I just stumbled upon it while experimenting. I so encourage you to give this one a try! Especially because it is loaded with vitamin C. The vitamin C in this smoothie is key to its tangy yet sweet flavor.
Vitamin C is essential to our wellbeing. Most mammals produce their own vitamin C however we are one of those that require it through our diet.
Adding as much whole food C to our diets as we can is one of the BEST things we can do for our health. Even better, we can supplement with more potent forms of vitamin C like Ascorbic Acid. In this powdered form, it is vitamin C that occurs naturally in nature but just very concentrated. If taken to bowel tolerance it will donate electrons to free radicals throughout the body and help heal all kinds of illnesses, repairing the body at a cellular level. Not only will it take care of the oxidative stress throughout your body, it will be the BEST thing for your complexion.
You may notice the whites of your eyes are brighter, your skin is tighter and brighter as well. It heals on all levels. Vitamin C is essential for the synthesis and maintenance of collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body.
These are some of the benefits for your skin that I’ve experienced from higher dosing vitamin C!
- Helps protect the skin by promoting the production and migration of fibroblasts that support normal wound healing.
- Protects against skin wrinkles seen in premature aging.
- Increased vitamin C uptake by vascular smooth muscle cells increases the synthesis and maturation of Type I (aka Type 1) collagen. Type I collagen accounts for about 90% of the body’s total collagen content.
- High concentrations of vitamin C stimulate synthesis of Type IV collagen, which has important filtration characteristics in the kidney, the blood-brain barrier, and the arterial lining .
So, I definitely recommend upping your intake of vitamin C and not just in whole food form! Whole food form is a wonderful way to get the benefits of vitamin C but it’s not enough to repair on a cellular level. You need something like AA to accomplish that! Or eat 200 oranges at once! Here is a link to the brand that comes recommended by doctors and that my family and I have been using with great results! (Click image)”
Skin Healing Strawberry Starburst Smoothie
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Handful frozen strawberries
- Few ice cubes
- 1/2 tsp of glucomannan powder (optional, but it’s rich in fiber and makes this smoothie ultra thick and luscious.
- 2 tsp baobab powder (PACKED with vitamin C and TONS of antioxidants)
- 1 1/4 tsp Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C)
- 3-4 pinches of 100% stevia powder (or 3 tsp of Super Sweet).
- 2 TBSP Collagen Peptides
- 1 drop grapefruit essential oil (or your favorite citrus oil of choice or citrus extract of choice)
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend really well until smooth, pour and enjoy!