Thanksgiving meals can be both fun, joyeous and somewhat predictable. We all come prepared to answer the lovable questions of “what are you up to now? How is school? What are your plans?” These questions are sweet and asked out of politeness and curiosity and while some of us may jump at the opportunity to talk about our plans, some of us may not feel as enthusiastic about providing boring answers. I love family and the wonderful occasion of gathering together and catching up on life. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. We are reminded of what life is all about. What really matters. We get to eat and eat and eat wonderful delicious homemade food! And while Thanksgiving may look different for everybody, I think we all long for that sense of community and fellowship.
We’ve put together some table topics for you to enjoy using at your own Thanksgiving gathering this year. Table topics can be a fun way to encourage everyone to share and to share about things that everyone can be interested in. They help us to remember why we celebrate Thanksgiving. Simply copy and paste these on note cards that you can tuck under everyone’s plate at the table. When everyone has eaten enough to start carrying on conversation, interrupt to explain you’ve hidden a card under each plate and you’d like each person to take a turn answering the question. Then allow everyone else to briefly chime in and share their own answer to your question.
1. What has happened to you this year that makes you thankful?
2. What makes Thanksgiving special to you?
3. If you had to eat one Thanksgiving dish for the rest of your life, what would it be?
4. What is your favorite Thanksgiving memory?
5. What’s the most unusual food you’ve eaten on Thanksgiving?
6. Name any movie where they celebrate Thanksgiving.
7. Describe your perfect Thanksgiving.
8. Who are you most thankful for? Who has had the greatest impact on your life?
9. What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? And why?
10. What hard thing that has happened to you this year, that you have learned and grown from , are you thankful for?
11. What are some of God’s promises that make you thankful?
Happy Thanksgiving from Iris+Hart, in particular Cate, Nancy and Lauren. We hope each of you have a fun and memorable time with family and friends. We are thankful for each of you.
Enjoy your conversations with each other and let’s us know how it went. We love hearing from each of you.
**Possible answers for number 6: The Blind Side, Home for the Holidays, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving etc.